Continuity of Midwifery Care
Pregnancy is a time to nurture and develop a trusting relationship with your midwife, who will listen to your individual needs, fears and expectations. You will be motivated to explore your body’s potential and plan for a safe and empowering birth. Our aim is that you and your partner are well informed, confident and excited about the birth of your baby.
Birth can be one of the most profound moments in your life. Every labour and birth is unique. Your midwife will ensure you feel heard, safe, loved and respected. If complexities arise we work together with other health professionals to continue providing safe, respectful woman-centered care.
Life with a newborn can be a challenging time. Home visits in the first week help prepare you to confidently embrace life with your baby, and we continue to monitor you physically and emotionally whilst providing practical support and advice for up to 7 weeks postnatal.
Current national and international research has demonstrated that continuity of care with known midwives
- improves outcomes for mothers and babies
- increases rate of normal birth
- decreases incidence of preterm labour and admissions to special care nurseries
- reduces intervention and the need for pharmacological pain relief in labour
- increases rate of successful breastfeeding
- Decreases incidence of postnatal depression
- women are more satisfied with their experience